January Blog Series: New & Best Practices
Insights from: Traci Didonna (Fullscope Product Architect)
Batch Merge – What is it?
- New feature released in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012
- Tool that supports easy merging of inventory batches into a new batch with unique characteristics
- Supports visibility and control of batch dates, vendor batch details and batch attributes
Batch Merge – Business Pains Addressed
- Manual, multi-step, time-consuming task
- Tracking was difficult, if not impossible
- Getting the right mix was challenging, it's hard to compare batch attributes and batch dates across batches
Batch Merge – Key Benefits Achieved
- Provides a mechanism to simulate, adjust, stage for approval and automate the processing of the desired merge.
- Productivity is higher because merge processes are more efficient
- Visibility into the key data is clear and better decisions can be made
- Accuracy when combining attributes reduces quality risks downstream
- Combining "heels" reduces loss, which impacts the bottom line.
Batch Merge List Page
In Inventory Management, Batch merges can be created and/or edited from the Batch Merge list page. Additionally, completed batch merges can be viewed for tracking purposes.
Completed Batch Merge Form
The completed batch merge identifies which batches were merged together and what new batch was created. It also identifies the batch details and attributes assigned to the merged batch.
Choose batch-controlled item. Product dimensions, Site and Warehouse are required if enabled. Other dimension act as filters.
After Item/Dimensions, source batches can be added to the grid. Can view details of all of the source batches. This Batch details tab shows Disposition, shelf life dates and vendor batch details. Source batches can be added and/or deleted from the grid.
Merged batch section of form adjusts based on the source batches included. Will copy data from the source batches if the same otherwise can be manually entered/edited. Batch dates have the option to be calculated on Earliest or Latest depending on the option on the Released product.
Switching to the Batch attributes tab, demonstrates all batch attributes and their values for the source batches. The Merged batch section calculates a weighted average for all batch attributes with type of Integer or Fraction. For other types, consistent values are copied to the merged batch. All values can be manually modified for the merged batch.
Once the details of the batch merge have been determined, the merge can be staged and transferred to a journal for approval and posting or it can be posted directly.
Posting the batch merge completes the following:
- Creates a new batch if needed
- Updates batch characteristics
- Batch dates (Shelf life dates)
- Vendor batch details
- Updates batch attribute values
- Writes / posts BOM journal lines
Transferring the batch merge to journal does the same except it does not post the journal so that it can be reviewed and approved prior to posting.